Sunday, October 14, 2012

DIY Lace Inserts

I have this cute black bodice, but the sides were too exposed for my taste. So I salvaged some old lace and turned it into this sweet little number. 
I like how the zipper, the black, the lacing, and the grommets are all rounded out with this sweet lace I bought at Joann's. This is what the bodice looked like before without the lace. 
 Nice, but a bit too exposed for my taste. This is what the zipper front looks like.
 So! For this tutorial, you will need: your bodice/tank top, lace, scissors, pins, and some sort of sewing apparatus. First, find where you want to place your lace. I already know where on the sides I want it (there are huge holes on the sides), so mark it out. All I had to do was pull out this ribbon.
 Place your lace where you want it to go. I just eyeballed it. I added about 2.5 inches of lace and cut it where I placed my scissors.
 Next, start pinning the fuck out of the lace. It's really squirmy, and you don't want to take any chances.
 Awhhh yeah, you ain't goin' nowhere!
 On the very edge of the pins, there is that zig-zag stitch. I decided that I was going to sew a zig-zag stitch on top of that zig-zag stitch to keep the seams clean.
 Take it over to your sewing machine and sew away. Or hand sew away, either or.
Now, pin the fuck out of the other side of your top. Sew it down likewise. 
 And this ought to be your finished result!
 Nice clean seams with some pretty itty-bitty Gothy lace poking out. :3
 And this is what it looks like now.
Conversely, if you just took a tank top and sewed up the sides with lace, it will look something like this. 
I really like these lace inserts, they add some Gothy girly class to my shirts (even if you're sewing in your underwear like me). Hope you like it! <3!

No comments: