Saturday, January 28, 2012

Attempted Hair Styles

Hello again! Sorry for the lack of posts, I started school and things have been stressful. Blah, blah, here are some hair attempts I made! It all started with this choker I bought.

It's black rubber with adjustable spikes. I have a thin neck (just under 13 inches, my hands can go around my neck and my fingers overlap) and I like to wear necklaces or else I feel naked. ^^;
It looks like this. You can pop any of the rubber spikes out and adjust it to your neck. Then you overlap the spikes in the holes like this:
 And pop them into place.
 Voila! It came with a matching bracelet too. :3
Given that I have arse-length hair, I had to think of some hairstyles that would show off my necklace and still be practical. I started with this one:
It's just a plain, classy half-up 'do, and I realized I actually like it a lot. Next came the pigtails!
 I learned this little trick today. Get two hair clips like this:
And, pulling your pigtail up, pin it just above where you originally tied off your hair, like this:
 and let the ends spill down over it, covering all the clip with your hair.
Then it'll make your pigtail s look like this! I like them better like this. :3
Also, this is the way I tie my pigtails. I have long, heavy hair, and just a plain rubberband is, not only damaging to my hair, but also too weak to hold it up. So I developed this method:
It's just a rubberless rubberband with two bobby pins on each side. Then, I grab my hair like this:
Slip one of the bobbypins in the middle of the pigtail between your fist and your scalp:
 Wind the rubberband around your pigtail as much as it will go:
 Then slip the other bobbypin into your pigtail, like this:
And that is it, your pigtails will last ALL. DAY. There's a regular pigtail on the right of this bottom photo, and a hairclipped pigtail on the left. I prefer the left one.
Another hairstyle I tried was braided pigtails. I feel like these look too... blah on me. But with pink or blue hair, it looks SOO awesome.
One thing I choose to do is to gently pull some hair out of the top-back side of each pigtail.
 It adds height and lift to my hair, and I think it looks better than my plain, flat hair.
 Same on the other side.
 So with the hair poufed out, I look like this. Think Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island.
 Then inspiration struck.
 I decided to undo the braids, I think I look best with low pigtails like this.
With these, my hair is pulled back. You can see my face, but it's still around my face and has movement to it.
 This way, my neck doesn't feel to naked. Like wearing a scarf of dead proteins. :D
 I HATE this last hairstyle actually, I think I look horrible with ponytails.
 You can even see the distaste in my eyes, I look like a cheerleader from hell...
My next hairstyle was a bun. I ALWAYS use these for buns. With hair as long as mine, these two, TWO, hairpins hold my hair perfectly in place without it ever budging. These are seriously better than bobbypins for buns. TRUST. ME.
 Obvious snooty face.
 I like my French twist, but it needs a little more. I decided to add some ornaments.
 All-in-all, the top hat won. Gotta keep it classy.
How about you? Do you do your hair? Do you have dread locks? Are you bald? Do you live exclusively on pigtails? Let me know! <3!

5 comments:

Tenebris In Lux said...

Very creative! I don't really miss my long hair but sometimes I see things like this and I miss how much fun you can have with long hair. I'm trying to grow mine out a bit, actually.

SarahWalrus said...

I used to live exclusively in pigtails. Then I shaved one side of my head and now I have to resort to a side ponytail or braid. THEN I layered my hair and can't braid it any more. So, now, ultimately I'm stuck with a side ponytail. :3

Personally I really love you in low ponytails. But I might be a little be biased!

Serenity said...

Tenebris- Long hair is fun! And you can get away with a lot more too. I'm glad you're growing it out. How long is your hair right now?

SaryWalrus- I love pigtails, but I think they look weird with my face. I'm sooo jealous of girls that look good in them, so thank you for thinking I look good in them. ^_^; <3!

DementiaKitty said...

wooo a new post! Welcome back :3

Serenity said...

DementiaKitty- why thank you, love. *snuzzle snuzzle snuzzle* <3!